Monuments

Oranjestad

Maria Convent * 1920

Location: J.E. Irausquinplein 2A/Dominicanessenstraat 2 Year Built: 1920 Status: Protected Ownership: Government of Aruba The first sisters - from Holland - arrived in Aruba in 1857. They belonged to the Franciscan Sisters of Roosendaal and had to set up Catholic education for poor children. This took place in a primitive house, made of corn sticks [...] Read more >

‘Huize de la Salle’ friars’ house * 1915

Address: J.E. Irausquinplein 4 Year Built: 1914/15 Monument status: Not protected Ownership: Government of Aruba In the early 20th century, the catholic church and education (schools for boys) on Aruba were in the hands of friars who came from Holland, from Tilburg, to be exact. The friars' house, dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi, was [...] Read more >

Eagle Refinery Main Office * 1929

Address: L.G. Smith Blvd 172 Year Built: 1929 Monument status: Protected Ownership: Government of Aruba The Eagle Refinery was established by the Royal Dutch Shell in the 1920’s. It stood where now the low-rise hotels, the golf course and the hospital are located. The Eagle Refinery got its name being an affiliate of the Mexican [...] Read more >

Government Offices * 1942

Address: L.G. Smith Blvd 78 Year Built: 1942 Monument status: Protected Ownership: Government of Aruba When World War II broke out in Europe in 1940, when Holland was occupied by the Germans in May of that year, the Dutch Caribbean islands were left without enough defense to protect the oil refineries on Aruba and Curaçao. [...] Read more >

Addison Croes Merchant’s house * 1913

Address: Wilhelminastraat 17-19 Period Built: Early 20th century Monument status: Not protected Ownership: private In Wilhelminastraat, across from the Eman merchant's house, one finds Addison Croes' merchant's house. It dates back to the year 1913. About a century ago, Addison Winfried Croes (1887 - 1973) was a prominent business man, who lived on the first [...] Read more >

Adriaan Laclé’s Merchant’s House * 1900s

Address: Nieuwstraat 6 Year Built: 1900s Monument status: Not protected Ownership: private This merchant's house is combined shop and home complex. Adriaan Laclé, businessman and land owner, had it built in the first half of the 20st century. The shops and work places were on the ground floor. They were accessed by five doors with [...] Read more >

Amador Laclé Residence * 1916

Address: Steenweg 20 Year Built: 1916 Monument status: Not protected Ownership: private In 1916, businessman Adriaan Laclé built this monumental townhouse on Steenweg, in the former merchant quarter between Wilhelminastraat and Nassaustraat, now Caya G.F. Betico Croes. When Adriaan Laclé's son, Amadeo ('Amador') Laclé went to live in the house after his father died, the [...] Read more >

Godfried Croes Townhouse * 1946

Address: Wilhelminastraat 24 Built: mid 20th century Monument status: Not protected Ownership: private This townhouse was built around 1946 by Godfried ('Concon') Croes (1890 - 1935), a trader in aloe vera products, and his spouse Sarah Catharina ('Carry') Croes. The building's architecture was inspired by the Latin American Neo-Baroque style that was prevalent in the [...] Read more >

Cornelis Eman Merchant’s house * 1890

Address: Wilhelminastraat 18 Year Built: end of the 19th century. Monument status: Not protected Ownership: private This partially attached merchant's house was built in the late 19th, beginning of the 20th century by Cornelis Hendrik Eman (1865-1914). The building was most probably built in two stages, the ground floor around 1890, the second - a [...] Read more >

Brenchi’s * 1929

Location junction Wilhelminastraat/Ooststraat Year Built: 1929 Monument status: Not protected Ownership: private The house known as "Cas di Brenchi" was built in Oranjestad in 1929. Bruno Arends (Brenchi) was a well-known merchant in Oranjestad. The construction of this house was in the hands of Brenchi's older brother Jacobo (Coco) Arends. In 1932 the construction of [...] Read more >